One of the greatest players of all time Lionel Messi is going to face arch-rival Cristiano Ronaldo and talented Liverpool superstar Virgil van Dijk as the biggest threat in 2019 Ballon d’Or award night. While the most expensive footballer of the season Neymar will not be the part of the illustrious event which is scheduled to be held in the city where he played so many matches for his PSG club. The exclusion of Neymar in the nominations list of Ballon d’Or award 2019 came as a big shock for his fans across the world.
On the other side, this year has been quite amazing for the Barca star Lionel Messi as he recently bagged a European Golden Shoe Award for the sixth time, ‘Best FIFA Football Awards 2019’ last month, and last but not the least ‘Champions League Forward of the Season’ award two months back.
With so many lustrous trophies in hand, Messi is going to fight for another grand achievement in the form of Ballon d’Or award. It will be interesting to see whether the star forward of Barcelona will be able to edge past his competitions or not.
Earlier in the glitzy award night of UEFA Champions League 2019, Dutch professional Virgil van Dijk cruised past both the football greats Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo to win the prestigious award of ‘UEFA Men’s Player of the Year’ with as many as 305 points in the kitty.
Both Messi and Ronaldo have five Ballon d’Or awards so far but in this year’s sensational ceremony will be a tie-breaker for both the legends. The much-awaited event of the biggest football awards is scheduled to be held in Paris on December 2nd.
Here’s check out the list of all the players who have been nominated for Ballon d’Or awards 2019:
Nominees for Men’s category
- Liverpool: Van Dijk, Firmino, Alisson, Wijnaldum, Alexander-Arnold, Mane and Salah
- Manchester City: De Bruyne, Mahrez, Bernardo Silva, Aguero and Sterling
- Barcelona: Leo Messi, Griezmann, Ter Stegen and De Jong
- Real Madrid: Benzema and Hazard
- Tottenham: Son and Lloris
- Ajax: Van de Beek and Tadic
- Juventus: Cristiano Ronaldo and De Ligt
- PSG: Mbappe and Marquinhos
- Atletico Madrid: Joao Felix
- Napoli: Koulibaly
- Bayern Munich: Lewandowski
- Arsenal: Aubameyang
Nominees for women’s category
- Kosovare Asllani (CD Tacon/Sweden)
- Ada Hegerberg (Lyon/Norway)
- Tobin Heath (Portland Thorns/USA)
- Sofia Jakobsson (CD Tacion/Sweden)
- Rose Lavelle (Washington Spirit/USA)
- Marta (Orlando Pride/Brazil)
- Lieke Martens (Barcelona/Netherlands)
- Megan Rapinoe (Reign FC/USA)
- Wendie Renard (Lyon/France)
- Sari van Veenendal (Atlético Madrid/Netherlands)
- Sarah Bouhaddi (Lyon/France)
- Lucy Bronze (Lyon/England)
- Nilla Fischer (Linköpings/Sweden)
- Pernille Harder (VfL Wolfsburg/Denmark)
- Amandine Henry (Lyon/France)
- Sam Kerr (Chicago Red Stars/Australia)
- Dzsenifer Marozsan (Lyon/Germany)
- Viviane Miedema (Arsenal/Netherlands)
- Alex Morgan (Orlando Pride/USA)
- Ellen White (Manchester City/England)