David Wagner during a football practice session.
David Wagner during a football practice session. Image Credits : Twitter (@s04_en)

On Sunday, Schalke 04 announced that they have sacked head coach David Wagner after the team went 18 league games without a win, which comprises the worst start to a Bundesliga season in history.
Having begun the 2020/21 with a humiliating 8-0 loss at Bayern Munich last weekend, Schalke conceded 11 goals with one scored in two defeats is the worst start to a season in the history of the league.
After being in charge for 15 months, the time finally ran out for the 48-year-old former Huddersfield manager following Saturday’s 3-1 defeat at home to Werder Bremen which left the team without a league victory since January.
Schalke’s sports director Jochen Schneider said that they hoped they could turn things around but unfortunately the first two matches did not produce the necessary performances and results. He added that therefore they have decided to take the path of a new start in terms of personnel. The decision has not been an easy one for them, despite the disappointing results.
Wagner seemed to take the blame on behalf of the team after Saturday’s defeat. He said that he agrees he is the main person responsible, he is not getting the results that one needs as a coach.
Former RB Leipzig boss Ralf Ragnick – who has previously coached Schalke in two stints – is among the best-known candidates linked to the vacant job. Wagner’s successor is expected to be announced soon.
Schalke finished third last December in Germany’s top-flight but crashed drastically in 2020 conceding 48 goals and only earning six points in a disastrous end to last season.
The cash-strapped Royal Blues have huge financial problems off the pitch and the coronavirus pandemic, with losses in matchday revenue since games, are being played behind closed doors. This has added to their debts.