20-year-old athlete Hima Das has been nominated for Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna. Assam government has recommended Hima Das for the prestigious award. She is the youngest of all six nominees.
Other than her there are five more players in the list, Rohit Sharma- Cricket, Neeraj Chopra- Javelin throw, Vinesh Phogat- Wrestling, Manika Batra- Table Tennis and Indian women’s hockey team captain Rani Rampal.
First Indian athlete to win gold in a track event
Hima won a gold medal in the under-20 world athletics championship held in Finland. She is the first Indian woman to do so. She completed the raise in 51.46.
Hima in Jakarta Asian Games
Besides, that Hima won a silver medal in Jakarta Asian Games in 2018, she participated in a 4×400 meter relay and the team won silver. But after that, the gold medallist team was disqualified due to doping charges, and the Indian squad eventually won the gold medal.
Even in 2019 she continued her winning streak and won many medals in different track events.
- 2nd July 2019– she won a gold medal at Poznan Athletics Grand Prix held in Poland, she took part in the 200-meter race and completed it in 23.65 seconds to win the gold.
- 7th July 2019– within five days of her last win in Poland, she won another medal at Kutno Athletics Meet in a 200-meter event. She completed the race in 23.97 seconds.
- 13th July 2019-after that she again won a gold medal at Kladno Athletics Meet in a 200-meter event.
- 17th July 2019– Hima once again won a gold medal at tabor athletics meet in 200 meters, She completed the race in 23.43 to win the gold.
- 20th July 2019- in a competition held in the Czech Republic she won a gold medal, but this time in a 400-meter event.
She won 5 gold medals within 18 days. Hima Das achieved this all at the age of 19, whereas many girls are just making Tik Tok videos at this age.